Wednesday, April 22, 2009

What I am up to...

UPDATE:


The kids' bathroom took FOREVER! I had the walls in the apartment solid pink, which I DID NOT like... too much pink , (wow, did I really just say that?). Well, it wasn't too much pink in general, it was just too much pink with the other colors in the color scheme... look below and you will see what I am talking about...I totally eyeballed this and was sooooo nervous it would not turn out the way I envisioned...
Tada! I absolutely love it!!!! See my color scheme: pink, green and purple... solid pink took away from the scheme.
This little baby was the inspiration for the room. When my grandma died, this was one thing I really wanted. That was almost 7 years ago! I was a fan of Trading Spaces then, and the designers on the show always had one thing that they used to inspire a whole room. When I saw this at my grandma's house, I was hit with inspiration! It has a new meaning now... first off, the humming bird reminds me of my grandma, (that was always something special about it). Secondly, after Tracie died, butterflies became her "symbol" so that made it even more special. Lastly, Hydrangeas were part of my wedding flowers, so this piece gained even more sentiment to me! :) I really like how the bathroom has come together, and now I really like it with the walls painted! :)


ORIGINAL POST:

I will update on our adoption tomorrow, so be sure to check back here to find out... :)

painting, painting and more painting...

When you are creative and brave like myself, (ok, you would probably call me impulsive, but creative and brave sound better ;) ), you get an idea and go for it! That is what I have been doing since yesterday, and what I will be doing the rest of today! I have completed two rooms, and will post tomorrow about the third. :)

In our house I have a hallway which is decorated in cheetah, red and black. I wanted it to be an entry way thing, but our house is REALLY open, and this would NOT look good in our entry way. So, it is in the hallway to the kids' rooms. (I made an adjustment to one of the decors that the kids will love). In the apartment we painted the walls red and it looked awesome! Only problem- it took at least 5 coats of paint to get the color right, and that was after the pink primer. Since I was lacking in red paint, (definitely not enough to cover the whole hallway), I devised a plan to still add color without all the hassle and the need to buy more paint...

The piece that started it all. I was at Hobby Lobby and HAD to buy this. I was inspired to do a room like this... then I found other pieces at Hobby Lobby to complete a room...
Painted and tapped... crossed fingers this worked...

What was the adjustment I made? Well, I had these frames bought, (they have a little red on the black which you can't see here). Since they were going to be in an entry way, I was going to keep updated pictures in them. Now that they were in a hallway, (and we don't have the kiddos' pictures yet), I decided to make it very special for our kids. I framed the adoption poems I wrote back in August (if you want to read them, search my archives for August 08). Now they can read them anytime, and will always remember how much they were loved even before they got adopted!
Tada... the whole hallway... I was soooo scared to take off the tape, but it turned out great!
More of the cheetah I bought at Hobby Lobby...
Close up of the poems and the stripe...


Now I was left with some red paint that I did not want to waste, so I decided to paint out bathroom, well toilet room... ;)

Paul's grandpa's brand! :) Since I was painting the toilet room I knew I could do something funky so I got pretty brave with this brand... fingers crossed...
Pink primer! I will be using that in our kids' bathroom...
Tada! Finished product!
I think it turned out pretty cool! Paul and his grandpa will be so excited to see this! :)
Close up of the walls... turned out nice if I do say so myself! :)


I am off to begin the kids' bathroom... it will be only one coat of paint which is nice, but I have a plan for a design which is more intricate than the toilet room, so the taping will be very tedious!

2 comments:

  1. It looks great! Awesome job! I like the stripe idea...it saves time And money :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow; you did a great job! I wish we had Hobby Lobby up here; I miss that store!! It was so great to be shopping and hearing praise music in the background.

    ReplyDelete