Thursday, April 21, 2011

Two Weeks Notice

Last night I heard two strange noises over Sweetpea's monitor. I checked her both times, and both times she was sleeping in the same sweet peaceful posotion. What was I hearing? Well, after that I began feeling very uneasy. Was it the Holy Spirit warning me, or was it satan torturing me into fear? I took to Facebook and dear friends began praying. Thankfully, Sweetpea is just a fine as ever this morning. Praise God!

Ironically, (or not), this occurred exactly 2 months to the day that this did:

If you told me I would have to spend 2 weeks in the hospital with my daughter that would have to get 2 brain surgeries, 5 CT scans, an MRI, an ambulance ride, have all of her veins stuck and then blown out to where they would need to put a central in her neck, and that once we left the hospital she would become ultra clingy and scared of people in scrubs, I would have broken down in tears!

Besides all of what she had to go through, I would have worried about my situation too. Y'all know I have a bad back, so the thought of sleeping on a chair for two weeks would be torture, not to mention I take a scalding hot bath everyday to ease the pain- something I would have to go without for 2 weeks!

Praise God that, as usual, He gave me strength to get through it all. During and looking back on it all, it never seemed that difficult. Obviously the worst part was seeing Sweetpea in pain, and the absolute worst was the day before and of her second surgery- will get to that in a min. Everything I would have worried about for myself, God took away. Also, I had many friends come stay the night with me, and I know countless people were praying- thanks so much!

On Sunday, February 20th, our day was just like any other. On Thursday she had a little lethargic episode that worried us, but once she had a bottle she popped out of it. You see, Sweetpea has Hydrocephalus on top of her Spina Bifida, (typically go hand in hand), so she has a shunt in her head to drain any excess fluid that may gather there. Shunts can malfunction and get infected... if a child gets lethargic, starts throwing up, or a high fever, you are supposed to take them to ER immediately. I watched her and she was herself so we knew not to worry. Sunday was no different- healthy and happy as can be. After Church I put her down for a nap at 2:30 and she slept till 6:30! Ok, so she needed sleep. No big. After I changed her diaper I gave her a bottle in her swing, and she began FALLING ASLEEP. After a 4 hour nap. Something was wrong. She then began crying for no reason and was inconsolable, (she is the happiest baby you will ever meet and never cries so this was a big sign too).

Mr. Incredible was on a run, so I called her former foster mom for advice. She said I should go to ER, just to be sure. Since I called her earlier that week for another bout of lethargy, she said it would be wise to take her just in case. Mr. Incredible came home and luckily he sensed something was wrong too.

Of course, as we were driving to the ER, Sweetpea started talking and laughing, you know, being herself. I was kinda embarrassed. I just knew they would role their eyes at this over protective mama that would bring in her completely healthy child to the ER at 7:30 on a Sunday night.

We went into triage, then were given our own room. Sweetpea was taken for a MRI and a CT scan, (CT was the worst thing I had ever experienced with her up until that point. She came out completely terrified and it killed me to see that look in her eyes and to hear her cry the way she did).

Hours passed and we knew we would be sent home feeling stupid.

Cutest little patient you ever did see! It was about 11 PM and she had been crying if you couldn't tell.

Finally a DR came in and told us that she looks totally fine, but they did find a cyst. It could be nothing. They wanted to see earlier scans to see if it had grown or what. So we were sent by ambulance to the med center.
Here is Sweetpea's oxygen monitor. I found ET. ;)

We were taken by ambulance at around 12:30, and were told that her DR was notified. So, naturally, I thought the DR was going to meet us there to figure this all out. When we got to our room, the nurse started showing me the shower and blankets and I was confused. Finally after a few hours of waiting we were informed that we would see the DR around 8 AM. UGH. We would be staying the night. I didn't sleep, Sweetpea only slept for 4 hours, and Mr. Incredible went downstairs to take a nap in the car.

Killing time, waiting for the DR...
She kept herself entertained with her reflection
FINALLY Sweetpea took a nap. Since she barely slept that night, I was so happy to see her sleeping.

The Dr came in around 5 PM. Yes, 5 when we were told 8. UGH. He said she had a cyst that had about tripled in size and we would need to do surgery. Seriously? Needless to say, we were a bit shaken up at this point. I was ok at first assuming it was all related to her SB, but when I was told it was unrelated, I became nervous. What is wrong with my baby? And BRAIN surgery. 'Nuff said.
We all had to get badges daily...
Preggo "Aunt" Elise spent a few nights with us, (as did "Aunt 'Tina"). Thanks so much ladies!
The day before her scheduled surgery. Happy as can be!

Wednesday she was scheduled for surgery. On Tuesday she spiked a freak 102.5 fever, (later we discovered she cut 3 teeth while in the hospital so I think they were the culprit).

We got down to preop after she had fasted, I had lost sleep, and we had started her on meds for the surgery, only to find out that we had to cancel surgery. The nurses failed to tell the surgeon that she had a fever the night before. The surgery would be rescheduled for Friday or Monday. I was so angry. When we got back to the room we were told the nurses would see us soon. 15/20 minutes later we had not seen the nurses and Sweetpea was beginning to have a reaction to her surgery meds, (which the nurses were supposed to take her off of immediately). Her Neurosurgeon's assistant luckily stopped by to check in on us and go over everything and she tracked down the nurses and gave them a talking to for leaving her on the meds. She was my hero over and over again. :)

I had reached my breaking point. When we were told they had to cancel surgery I said, "are you kidding," and when she said no, I tried not to burst out in tears. Through my cracked voice I asked all my questions. Once the nurses messed up with her meds, I lost it. My BFF was there and she and I left the hospital for about and hour to walk around to cool me off. It was the first and only time I left the hospital for the 2 weeks we were there. Mr. Incredible stayed with Sweetpea- there was no way I was going to leave her alone.
Hermann Park was so nice to see out of the windows :)
Just passing the time, waiting for Monday's surgery
Couldn't love her more if I tried.
I got spoiled watching her sleep. She sleeps in this position every night, (this was the position she was even in last night when I went to check on her). I loved sleeping near her every night.
She is so silly!

Monday Sweetpea went into surgery to relive her cyst and it was quick and the cyst began going down immediately. Her recovery was hard on me because it was obvious she was in pain, but the pain meds finally kicked in. Tuesday morning we got a CT and it showed that the cyst was going down but her ventricles were now swelling. Another surgery was possibly needed. Although I did not want her to undergo another surgery, I was hoping that if it was necessary, it would happen while we were still in the hospital.
In PICU after her first surgery... amazingly perfect stitches, (not so much after the second, but they did heal perfectly so that is all that matters). :)
Playing while waiting for CT
Can't you see it in her eyes that she is not herself?

Wednesday Sweetpea began going downhill. She was very sleepy and only had 10 ounces all day. I requested her to be put on iv and was scrutinized by nurses, (she is probably just sleepy, she is on meds, etc). No. Something was wrong. Her Dr agreed that something was wrong and decided to keep us in the hospital. Later that day we got another CT. The ventricles were increasing still, but not enough yet. We would try again Thursday. I was to watch for her to vomit or become unresponsive.
This is the most energy she had. She spent most of the day sleeping or at least laying down.
Playing with her feet :)

Thursday morning we got the final CT and it showed the cyst was still draining properly, but her ventricles had finally increased significantly enough for action. While waiting for surgery, she stopped eating completely, she vomited and became unresponsive. Needless to say her surgery could not come soon enough. An unresponsive baby is just horrible.
I know this may look like a sweet pic, but really it is a very scary pic. She had been like this all day and when I would try to stir her she would not wake. Hardest few hours of my life.

Her surgery was once again very quick, and when we saw her in recovery she was a new baby. Even though she had been under anesthetic and she had her brain cut into, she was already more herself than she had been all day. I had never been so happy to see her eat!!
Back to playing immediately!
Showing off her new war wound. This was the fist time she had the energy to sit up in days. :/
I needed to cut her nails even before we got to the hospital. Obviously that didn't happen. Add two more weeks and this is what you get. You have to look closely, but check out her pinky nail!
Ok, we're ready to go home now!
Seriously, what is the hold up? Oh well, I'll play with my wipes box.

We should have gone home much sooner, but we were finally released on Saturday. One day short of 2 weeks. We were so happy to have her home and to cuddle with her in our bed for awhile.

We are so happy that she is healthy! She is still scared of anyone in scrubs, and she has a stronger stranger anxiety, but all in all, she's great!

I am thankful that God had kept this a secret from me. At the time I said I wish I had known how long I'd be there so I could prepare, but I think it was easier to handle since I hadn't had time to worry about what I would have to suffer through, ya know? Romans 8:28 ♥

2 comments:

  1. Wow! what a scare1 But GOD IS GOOD! over and over again. :) i wish i would have known you were at tch! i work there! i would have visited your room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing all the details of your journey. Praise the Lord for his faithfulness through it all!

    ReplyDelete