Monday, January 21, 2013

MLK

MLK Day becomes more and more special to me everyday! I mean, just look at it this way- Paul is half Korean, I'm white, Annie is black and Woody and Buzz are Hispanic, (they are no longer with us, but we still consider them our sons). :) Thanks to MLK paving the way, our family is accepted and we have never really endured any negativity for our mix of races/ethnicities!
via Google
Part of his speech that is particularly special to me:
I have a dream that one day the state of Alabama, whose governor's lips are presently dripping with the words of interposition and nullification, will be transformed into a situation where little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls and walk together as sisters and brothers. (view full speech here)
Annie is in love with the movie Hairspray. We watch it all the time, and while it is a fun movie, it also makes me so sad. We have been blessed in this day and age to reap the blessings that MLK and many brave others selflessly made possible for us. Hairspray reminds me of their struggle. It makes me sick to my stomach that people would say one race is inferior to another. Just based on skin colors. What?!
Part of the song, "You can't stop the beat," that I love is:
You can't stop today
As it comes speeding down the track
Child, yesterday is hist'ry
And it's never coming back

'Cause tomorrow is a brand new day
And it don't know white from black


'Cause the world keeps spinning
'Round and 'round
And my heart's keeping time
To the speed of sound
I was lost til I heard the drums
Then I found my way
'Cause you cant stop the beat
Another movie that I highly recommend on a day like today is Amazing Grace- I wrote about it here. It is about William Wilberforce and his life long fight to abolish the slave trade in England. It amazes me that slavery and segregation were legal! It disgusts me, especially as I cradle my angel.
Let us never forget!
Thank you MLK for fighting-because of your fight, we enjoy our multi ethnic family!
*funny side note about Hairspray: in one part, Link says "Kiss my ***" so he can be sent to detention, (his own way of standing up for an injustice against Tracy). Annie quoted it one day, (she knows all the songs, and quotes pretty much the whole movie). Well, I told her, "don't say that." She said it again. I said, "no. we do not say ***. that is a bad word!" Ever since then, the second the scene begins she starts freaking out, crying, until I skip the scene! She now hates that part...hard to tell if she is scared knowing it is a bad word, or if she is sad that her precious Zefron said the bad word! lol

No comments:

Post a Comment